The following special issue of which we are the guest editors will be published in Applied Sciences (http://www.mdpi.com/journal/applsci), and is now open to receive submissions of full research articles and comprehensive review papers for peer-review and possible publication:
In recent years, significant advances have been made toward the realization of General Artificial Intelligence, especially in the Machine Learning (ML) (e.g., Deep Learning) domain. Several real-world tasks, however, cannot yet be solved by machines alone. Systems are hence needed that rely on the integration of Human and Artificial Intelligence to solve the most complex problems. In many academic and industrial intelligent agents, communication between humans and computers is a key factor. Many challenges, however, can hinder successful cooperation between the two actors. ML algorithms, for instance, fail to provide explanations for their actions, while human cognitive overload and human out-of-the-loop syndrome may result in lower performance.
It is open to both original research articles and review articles covering all the relevant progress in these fields (though is not limited to the following):
- New technologies and frameworks that support human–machine interaction and human–machine collaborative intelligence;
- Machine learning (e.g., deep learning) to understand human behavior;
- Explainable Artificial Intelligence;
- Human factors in Artificial Intelligence;
- Human teaming with autonomous systems;
- Situation-aware intelligent systems;
- Artificial intelligence for cyberphysical–social systems;
- Emotion Artificial Intelligence (e.g., sentiment analysis);
- Brain–computer modeling for human–machine cooperation;
- Decision support systems in different domains (e.g., logistics, smart factory, healthcare);
- Personalized systems (e.g., user profiling, e-learning, recommender systems).
Applied Sciences is an online, peer-reviewed, open access journal, published quarterly by MDPI AG, Basel, Switzerland. The journal is covered by Science Citation Index Expanded (Web of Science) [search for "Applied Sciences-Basel"], Scopus, INSPEC (IET) and other databases. Manuscripts are peer-reviewed and a first decision provided to authors approximately 17 days after submission; acceptance to publication is undertaken in 5.7 days (median values for papers published in the first six months of 2018).
An Article Processing Charges (APC) of 2000 CHF for Applied Sciences apply to accepted papers. You may be entitled to a discount if you have previously received a discount code or if your institute has established an institutional membership with MDPI, for more information see http://www.mdpi.com/about/memberships.