Call: EC-TEL 2022
Seventeenth European Conference on Technology Enhanced Learning
Educating for a new future: Making sense of technology-enhanced learning adoption
Toulouse, France, 12-16 September 2022.
CALL FOR PAPERS
The European Conference on Technology-Enhanced Learning (EC-TEL) engages researchers, practitioners, educational developers, entrepreneurs, industry leaders and policy makers to address current challenges and advances in the field. EC-TEL 2022 will take place on 12-16 September 2022 in Toulouse, France with the theme “Educating for a new future: Making sense of technology-enhanced learning adoption”.
We invite contributions for research papers, posters, demonstrations, as well as workshops. A doctoral consortium will be organised concurrently with the workshops. The topics of interest for the conference can be found here.
Research papers, posters and demonstrations, as well as Doctoral Consortium (DC) submissions will be handled through EasyChair. Apart from the DC submissions, all papers will be reviewed through a double blind review process, i.e. authors must upload their papers without any reference to themselves or their institutions.
Accepted research, poster and demo papers will be published in the conference proceedings. As every year, the proceedings will be published within Springer “Lecture Notes in Computer Science” (LNCS) Series. The use of supplied template is mandatory: https://www.springer.com/de/it-informatik/lncs/conference-proceedings-guidelines. Authors should consult Springer’s authors’ guidelines and use their proceedings templates, either for LaTeX (Overleaf template) or for Word, for the preparation of their papers. Springer encourages authors to include their ORCIDs in their papers. In addition, the corresponding author of each paper, acting on behalf of all of the authors of that paper, must complete and sign a Consent-to-Publish form. The corresponding author signing the copyright form should match the corresponding author marked on the paper. Once the files have been sent to Springer, changes relating to the authorship of the papers cannot be made.
Workshop proposals will be handled separately and submissions will be done using another system as specified below.
Doctoral Consortium papers will be published in CEUR Workshop Proceedings (CEUR-WS) and authors have to comply with the CEUR template.
- Research Papers: 8-14 pages, published in LNCS Springer Conference Proceedings.
- Poster Papers: max. 5 pages (published in LNCS Springer Conference Proceedings). If the paper is accepted, authors will be required to prepare an additional page describing their work. This page will not be published in the proceedings, but it will be used to organize the sessions.
- Demonstration Papers: max. 5 pages (published in LNCS Springer Conference Proceedings). If the paper is accepted, authors will be required to prepare an additional page describing their work. This page will not be published in the proceedings, but it will be used to organize the sessions.
- Workshop proposals: online form (see subsection), not published in proceedings. Submissions will be handled independently by the workshop organisers, who will define the submission procedure.
- Doctoral Consortium papers: 5-10 pages, published in CEUR DC Proceedings
Research papers for EC-TEL 2022 should be 8-14 pages long. No matter the length, research papers are expected to be mature research contributions to the field of technology-enhanced learning. Research papers should clearly define research objectives and questions. In addition, research papers should discuss the state-of-the-art in the area in which the work is framed, how the new proposal advances the state of the art, present an appropriate research methodology, as well as present and discuss the results of the research conducted. Preliminary results or work in progress fit very well in the poster paper category. Research papers should highlight their novelty and contribution to the field. Note that it is important for EC-TEL 2022 research papers to consider both technology and learning.
Posters report on significant work-in-progress research and developments.Theoretical and practice-oriented contributions are welcomed. Please submit papers of maximum 5 pages, including theoretical background, description of your work, preliminary results, and references. Poster papers will be published in the EC-TEL 2022 proceedings if accepted.
In case your paper is accepted, poster authors will be asked to complete a given form useful for organizing and delivering the poster sessions accordingly.
Demo papers are expected to describe innovative TEL applications, practices and prototypes aligned with the conference theme and topics (e.g. dashboards, recommender systems, chatbots, practice-oriented contributions, etc.). Demo papers will be published in the EC-TEL 2022 proceedings if accepted. Please submit papers of maximum 5 pages, including :
- Pedagogical / Technological background
- Description of the application/ practice/ prototype / use case to demonstrate its relevance
- Results and outcomes achieved
- Future agenda / next steps
In case your paper is accepted, demonstration authors will be asked to complete a given form useful for organizing and delivering the demonstration sessions accordingly.
General instructions for research, poster, and demonstration
Authors have to make a choice as to which conference track they apply to: Research, Demonstration, or Poster. Submitting the same work to more than one track is not allowed. The different tracks have different submission formats and review criteria. Double submissions will be rejected without review, but if you are a single research group or institution, you may submit more than one work that provides new insights on different aspects of the same project. Submitters who are unsure where to submit their papers can contact the program chairs at the following address: email@example.com
EC-TEL 2022 offers the opportunity to host half-day or full-day workshops. EC-TEL workshops are intended for in-depth discussion of important topics in the field of technology-enhanced learning. EC-TEL invites proposals to organise workshops that will focus on interactive exchange of ideas and experiences between researchers and practitioners in the field.
Topics and formats that focus on bridging the gap between academia and business are especially welcomed. Workshops may include (but are not limited to) paper presentations, collaborative discussions, sharing a practical experience, putting forward a “real case”, tutorial sessions, etc.
Potential organisers interested in coordinating a workshop are requested to submit a proposal by filling out a form (will be published later), no later than 4 May 2022. Proposals should explain why the topic of a workshop will be interesting to the EC-TEL community and how it may advance the field as a whole. Successful proposals will be confirmed by 18 May 2022. More information on the submission of workshop proposals can be found on the specific section of the EC-TEL 2022 website.
EC-TEL 2022 will organize a Doctoral Consortium for PhD candidates working on topics related to Technology-Enhanced Learning providing. More information will be provided soon.
Research papers, Posters, and Demonstrations
- 24 March 2022 – Mandatory submission of an abstract
- 14 April 2022 – Submission of full version
- 03 June 2022 – Notification of acceptance
- 29 June 2022 – Camera-ready versions
- 12-16 September 2022 – EC-TEL 2022 conference
- 4 May 2022 – Submission of workshop proposal
- 18 May 2022 – Workshops notification
- 1 June 2022 – Workshops sites launched
- 12-13 September 2021 – EC-TEL 2022 Workshops
- to be announced
All submission deadlines are 11:59pm UTC-12
Statement on Open Science
As in previous years, we want to encourage Open Science within the EATEL research community. We therefore encourage authors to document their research in a reproducible and verifiable manner, and in general to use Open Science best practices. Two best practices that we specifically would be happy to see in EC-TEL 2022 research papers are:
- Pre-registration. Results from empirical studies are more robust when researchers predefine a research and analysis plan and register it before data collection. To do so, we encourage authors to use services like AsPredicted (aspredicted.org) and the Open Science Framework (OSF) to preregister their research so that confirmatory and exploratory analyses can be better evaluated. The research manuscript should then include a link to the preregistration document.
- Sharing data and code for replication purposes. Sharing data sources (always anonymised!) as well as the scripts or programs you used to analyse them can help other researchers to replicate or extend your analysis. We encourage authors to share this information by providing a link to the data and code in the manuscript.
Invitation to publish in IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies
Best papers, and additional selected papers, get an invite to IEEE Transactions on Learning Technologies to publish there with 30% new content and if these papers contain design-relevant knowledge as envisioned by the journal.
We are looking forward to seeing you at EC-TEL 2022!!